Chef Intermediate Topics – Official Chef Training
|Commitment||2 days, 7-8 hours a day.|
|How To Pass||Pass all graded assignments to complete the course.|
|User Ratings||Average User Rating 4.8 See what learners said|
|Delivery Options||Instructor-Led Onsite, Online, and Classroom Live|
Chef Intermediate Topics – Official Chef Training Course – Hands-on
Chef Intermediate Topics – Official Chef Training is an instructor-led course that first introduces you to test-driven development (TDD) and then shows you how to extend your cookbooks with custom resources and Ohai plugins.
Building cookbooks with tests will increase the speed at which you work by giving you consistent feedback throughout the entire cookbook development process. Extending your cookbooks with custom resources will increase clarity within your recipes and provide resources that are portable to other cookbooks. Ohai plugins gather data from your nodes that will aid in more dynamic recipes and extensive reporting.
In this course, you will learn how to confidently refactor and extend a cookbook through explanation, demonstration, practice, and discussion. At the end of the course, you will have created a code repository that can be applied to solve the unique challenges you face when managing your infrastructure.
Chef Intermediate Topics – Official Chef Training Course – Customize it
- We can adapt this training course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
- If you are familiar with some aspects of this training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
- We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the training around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
- If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the training course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Chef Intermediate Topics – Official Chef Training Course – Class Prerequisites
The knowledge and skills that a learner must have before attending this training course are:
- To take this course, you should have completed Chef Fundamentals or Chef Essentials or have comparable work experience. You should have a working knowledge of core Chef concepts and resources.
Chef Intermediate Topics – Official Chef Training – Course Content
- Why write tests? Why is that hard?
- Writing a test first
- Refactoring cookbooks with tests
- Faster feedback with unit testing
- Testing resources in recipes
- Refactoring to attributes
- Refactoring to multiple platforms
- Approaches to extending resources
- Why use custom resources
- Creating a custom resource
- Refining a custom resource
- Ohai plugins
- Creating an Ohai plugin
- Tuning Ohai