Initial Sizing in Hand Calcs Training
Initial Sizing in Hand Calcs Training Course – Hands-on
Initial Sizing in Hand Calcs Training course provides the attendee with directly applicable tools to get their jobs done. The emphasis is on tactical execution of structural sizing during the initial phases of a design to ensure the concepts will meet the requirements when more thorough analysis is completed later. The methods are all presented as functions to aid the attendee in understanding the influence of the various design parameters that drive sizing of the structure. In additional to the presentation and equations, digital copies of references are provided with Excel and MathCAD versions of the solutions provided to allow implementation of the methods immediately. Each topic presented could be extended to one or more days of training. In fact, some topics are routinely given as multi-day sessions. This course is not like that and instead provides an 80/20 rule solution for most configurations seen in production and then provides the resources for the designer and analyst to investigate further as required. By emphasizing fast, accurate, and easy to understand sizing rules, designs are set on the correct trajectory early in the development phase thereby reducing or eliminating the need for costly redesigns later. Worked examples and hands-on class problems are presented.
Initial Sizing in Hand Calcs Training Course – Customize it
- We can adapt this training course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
- If you are familiar with some aspects of this training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
- We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the training around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
- If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the training course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Initial Sizing in Hand Calcs Training Course – Audience/Target Group
The target audience for this training course:
Initial Sizing in Hand Calcs Training – Course Content
- Problem Setup – Thinking like a Stressman. The importance of FBD’s and the drawing of problems, identifying components and failure modes, and sizing rules of thumb.
- Loads and Loads Determination. Generating load cases from requirements and sizing with unknown loads..
- Mechanics of Materials Primer. Basic stress equation refresher with typical safety factors, writing margins, and recommended references.
- Materials & Material Allowables. Where to find material properties and determine A and B-basis strength allowables.
- Metallic Bolted Joints. Rules of thumb for joint sizing, failure modes, typical torque values, tolerancing, joint slipping and gapping.
- Composite Bolted Joints. Hart-Smith joint guidance, bearing-bypass failure modes, strength corrections, joint testing, and lessons learned.
- Lugs. Classical lug analysis and guidelines
- Sizing and Analyzing Welds. Steel and aluminum welding, HAZ, and line load methods.
- Bonded Joints. Pros/Cons of adhesive joints, recommended joint types, classic equations for single/double lap joints, FEM methods.