SNMP Agent Development Training
SNMP Agent Development Training Course – Hands-on
After an Enterprise’s MIB design is finalized and fully validated, the next task is Agent software development. A number of issues need to be considered in selecting a development kit.
- Targeted operating system (or systems)
- Pre-existence of SNMP agents on those platforms
- Embedded platforms or not
- Tool cost vs. time-to-market (and market opportunity cost)
- Protocol validation issues
Once a tool is selected, many common coding issues will be encountered. This intensive, one-day SNMP Agent Development Training will prepare you to deal with these issues and allow you to proceed quickly to a deliverable product. Example topics include choosing how to best access and manage MIB-related data, and the number (and purposes) of agent code threads that may be needed. We will reveal a number of very surprising problems drawn from our own extensive SNMP experience related to deployed agents, followed by a discussion of agent testing strategies, descriptions of specific tests, and the presentation of a comprehensive test plan from a past project. You will learn the important details of syntax encoding for “get”, “set”, “trap” and other message types. The course will conclude with the review of a checklist for productizing Enterprise MIBs and agents.
SNMP Agent Development Training Course – Customize it
- We can adapt this training course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
- If you are familiar with some aspects of this SNMP Agent Development Training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
- We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the training around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
- If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the SNMP Agent Development Training course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
SNMP Agent Development Training Course – Audience/Target Group
The target audience for this training course:
- SNMP Agent software developers.
SNMP Agent Development Training Course – Objectives
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Watch out for common agent problems
- Make agent architectural and SDK choices
- Define agent semantics
- Coexist (if necessary) with native agents
- Be aware of important coding issues
- Describe the details of SNMP message syntax
- Fully test your agent prior to deployment
- Productize your MIB and agent products
SNMP Agent Development Training – Course Content
- True stories of delivered agents with significant deficiencies
- Agent development steps
- Defining goals and tradeoffs
- Agent SDK selection criteria
- Agent architectural choices and issues
- Agent semantics
- Coexistence of enterprise agents with native platform agents
- Trap design
- Agent coding issues
- Data acquisition
- Read-write data management
- Returning multiple values
- Processing get-next requests
- Table index data type choices
- Multi-step “set” processing
- Code threads and uses
- Trap send logic
- Agent initialization and log files
- SNMP message syntax and coding
- Agent testing (static and dynamic)
- Productizing an Enterprise MIB and agent
- Wrap-up: Course recap, Q/A, and evaluations