SNMP Training Course – Hands-on
SNMP is a widely used protocol that facilitates the management of networked devices from a central location. Originally intended only for the management of network devices such as routers and switches, its usage has grown rapidly to encompass the monitoring of nearly any electronic device one can think of. SNMP is now used to monitor and manage television broadcast studios, automated fare collection systems, airborne military platforms, energy distribution systems, emergency radio networks, and much more.
The first of our series of three courses on SNMP, it is followed by a course that deals with the security and other enhancements embodied in SNMPv3, the latest version of this protocol. Our final course on SNMP is aimed at the software developers responsible for programming SNMP agents for deployed devices.
This SNMP Training course is designed to fast-track individuals and organizations wishing to become SNMP-competent. It employs highly interactive lecture combined with hands-on exercises to help you effectively acquire the necessary knowledge and skills and apply them to real-life situations.
SNMP Training Course – Customize it
- We can adapt this training course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
- If you are familiar with some aspects of this SNMP Training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
- We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the SNMP Training around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
- If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the SNMP Training course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
SNMP Training Course – Audience/Target Group
The target audience for this training course:
- IT professionals, engineers, tech and customer support representatives, marketing and sales personnel and others responsible for SNMP deployment and management, MIB and agent development, and SNMP sales and support.
SNMP Training Fundamentals Course – Class Prerequisites
The knowledge and skills that a learner must have before attending this training course are:
- While there are no specific prerequisites for this course, good general knowledge of computer networking will be very helpful.
SNMP Training Fundamentals – Course Content
- Important references
- History, trends, strengths, weaknesses
- Understanding standards
- RFC’s from the IETF
- ASN.1 used to define SNMP
- OID’s (Object Identifiers) used to identify organizations
- Where to get an Enterprise OID, how to use it, and how to manage an Enterprise OID space
- Message standards
- SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, SNMPv3
- Manager/Agent protocol operations
- UDP transport issues
- Security of the protocol
- MIB (Management Information Base)
- SMIv1 and SMIv2 syntax
- Examples of MIB content and organization
- OID’s and instance values of MIB objects
- Terminology summary
SNMP Network Management Principles
- Manager Products: Categories and examples
- Architectures of SNMP-managed networks
- Managing SNMP agents
- Agent configuration: Data & methods
- Potential agent problems
- Discovery and mapping
- Monitoring system availability
- Monitoring non-SNMP functions
- Handling traps (alarms) from agents
- Real-time data collection
- Long-term data trend reports
- Manager configuration
- GUI behavior
- Device discovery
- Device access and attributes
- MIB compilation
- Trap filters
- Local alarms
- Custom tables
- Debugging an SNMP Managed Environment
- Command line tools
- Using validating MIB compilers
- Network traffic capture tools
- SMIv1 and SMIv2 differences
- Object types
- Data types
- Data subtypes (textual conventions)
- Table structures
- Conformance statements
- Complex MIBs
- MIB objects and agent semantics
- Resolving MIB compilation problems
- Typical uses of MIB data objects